Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Associating files with programs

I know this will be a "duh" post to some geeks, but the process stumped me for a bit, so I thought I would put it up.

We had an application that would send out .tif files. When my coworker would open it, he could only see the first page. This was because he was by default opening them in picture preview instead of Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer. I fixed it to where he could see it once, however, I needed to get .tifs associated with picture and fax viewer all the time. So, here are the steps:

1. right click on the file
2. go to open with.....
3. click choose program...
4. highlight the program that you want to use
5. IMPORTANT!! click the check box that says always use the selected program to open this kind of file
6. click OK
VIOLA!! Now every time you open that file type, it will open with the new program!

No comments:

Post a Comment