Friday, June 5, 2009

OpenDNS

I did quite a search for web filters for my home. I tried several, and found that they can be easily defeated. Then I found open DNS

Basically DNS translates a web URL to an IP address. For example, www.google.com translates to 74.125.127.103. So, instead of remembering a string of numbers, it is easier for us earthlings to remember www.google.com. There are large computers that translate the numbers into words. Somewhere in your path from your computer to the internet, you have a place that you can point to which of these large computers you want to go to. Most of the time, this is automatically done for you.

Wow, that was a lot of techie jargon. The practical steps to get a pretty good filtered internet to all of your house is this:

1. Go to www.opendns.com and create an account. They have great tutorials on there that I would look through and follow.
2. You will need to log into your home router and change the DNS numbers.
3. If your internet provider gives you a dynamic IP address, you will need to poke around in there to find a small piece of software that sends your current ip address to opendns.

I have tested this, and for the most part, it seems to work well. On OpenDNS website, you can adjust the filter, and also add and restrict certain sites. For example, I blocked craigslist from a small business I support, because too many people were waisting their time on that site. I would highly recommend opendns for a home/small business web filtering solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment